Nurse Kristi would like to share some information about how to keep students healthy and illness out of the school.
Thankfully, so far our Lawrence-Nelson school community hasn't been hit too hard by influenza and other illnesses! Many area schools and communities are, however. We are taking steps to keep students healthy but we ask that you also help out.
See below for a guide of when to keep your student home from school and how to determine whether or not they have influenza or a cold.
EVERYONE needs to wash hands, stay home when sick, cover their mouth, and get the flu shot in order to help prevent the spread of illness!
Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019
It is hard to believe that ACT testing is just around the corner for this year's juniors. All juniors in the state of Nebraska are taking the ACT on Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019. Yes, this is the same date as a high school track meet, but the track meet will go on without juniors participating in it.
- HERE is a link to the ACT prep letter sent home to all junior parents on November 27th, 2018.
- HERE will be a link to the letter that will be sent home to juniors about the April 2nd test date at the beginning of the 2nd Semester.
- Please note that all juniors are asked to be at school by 7:45 AM for testing/breakfast on April 2nd.
- If all juniors are on time for testing, they will be dismissed at the conclusion of the test for the remainder of the school day.
- Mrs. Ashley Wit is the LN testing coordinator, and Mrs. Porter is the guidance counselor who will receive the ACT testing results and help students with submitting these to colleges their senior year.
- Looking back at the 2018 graduates and the 2018 testing for our juniors, it is important to note everything ACT test scores, as well as our pathway programs, and educational system at SCNUSD #5 have done for our students:
10 students were awarded and are taking advantage of the CCC transition scholarship, which is 12 free credits. To qualify the students took 12 CCC college credits while in high school and are now attending CCC.
4 students were awarded the Susan Thompson Buffett Scholarship
2 students were awarded Regents Scholarships
1 student who participated in our district’s healthcare pathway was accepted into the Kearney Health Opportunity Program, which includes admission into UNMC and a tuition scholarship.
2 students were awarded a $10,000 Dorothy Vorderstrasse Huge Scholarship which honors the achievements of scholars attending schools in Thayer, Nuckolls, Franklin, and Webster counties.
2 students were accepted into sponsorship programs that included covering costs such as tuition, tools, books and offering internships and a job upon completion of the program.
1 student who participated in our district’s Advanced Manufacturing Pathway was awarded a scholarship to complete this program.
How did the ACT go for our juniors in the Spring of 2018?
2 received a 30+
6 scored in the 25-29 point range
8 scored in the 23-24 point range
Click the links below for tournament information for the 2018-2019 year:
- September 11th at Harvard
- September 8th at Friend (photo attached)
- Tues., Sep. 11th: LN plays at 5:30 & 6:30 instead of 6:30 & 7:30 PM.
- Tues., Sep. 18th: LN plays at 5:30 & 7:30 PM at Lawrence in their own triangular (Thayer Central & Fillmore Central).
- Tues., Sep. 25th & Thurs., Sep. 27th: LN plays at the St. Cecilia VB Tournament --> taking on Wood River at 5:30 PM and Superior at 6:30 PM on Tuesday for their first games. Thursday's games are at 4:30, 5:30 and 7:30 PM.
- September 27th Cross Country Information at RED CLOUD
- Sat., Oct. 6th: JHVB Tournament @ BDS
- Sat., Oct. 13th and Mon., Oct. 15th: TVC Tournament linked HERE
- Sat., Oct. 20th: Axtell Tournament
- Thurs., and Fri., Dec. 27th and 28th, 2018
- Saturday, January 5th, 2019 at EXETER: Schedule linked HERE.
Check here for the school's fundraising activities...
The links below will take you to the fundraising activity/activities being held by the Lawrence/Nelson extra-curricular organizations...
- Meal Deals for the Sports' Seasons in 2018-2019 - Check here to see when your group is hosting, what they are serving & maybe even what you are being asked to bring!
- Costa Rica Clothing Fundraiser - ORDERS DUE BY FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7TH
- Raider Involved Parents Clothing Fundraiser - Page 1 and Page 2 - ORDERS DUE BY FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7TH
- Music Parents' Organization and our music students are selling Watkins through August 31st - orders yours today!
- Raider Boys' Basketball Team Clothing Orders - ORDERS DUE BY NOV. 29TH
Clothing is customizable (name and number put on the back of the shirts, for example).
The orders will not arrive until the end of December.
If customizing with name/number, there is an additional charge of $4 for the number, $6 for the name, or $10 for both.
FYI: Orders will NOT be here in time for Christmas! Youth sizes are available for some of the clothing items, including Items #5, 11, 14, 21.
The proceeds will be used to help the boys' basketball program purchase shooting shirts, practice jerseys, and team socks.
To help support the basketball team, you can place your order online or through any member of the boys' basketball team (checks should be made payable to LN Boys' Basketball if not ordering online).
Each member of the team has been challenged to sell 12 items per individual. When you order online, you will have the option to type in the players' name you would like credited for the order on the payment page at the end of your order. If you do not have a specific player you would like to receive credit, just type RAIDERS in the player's name box.
- Beef in the Schools is selling raffle tickets for large supplies of meat, Husker tickets, and more! Hit up our LN students or the FFA Alumni to purchase yours today!
- FREE balloons at the home football games -- compliments of the Micki Jacobitz Family!