Substitute Teachers Needed for SCNUSD #5
Two Ways to Apply: Local Sub Certificate or UNK Substitute Teacher Program
South Central Nebraska Unified School District #5 is in need of Substitute Teachers for the 2020-21 school year to serve at Lawrence-Nelson and/or Sandy Creek. There are two ways to qualify to substitute. The school district pays $120 per day to substitute.
Local Substitute Certificate:
If an individual has 60 hours or more of college credits you can call the District Office 402-726-2412 and request to be put on the local substitute list.
Apply here to the Nebraska Department of Education:
- Complete Fingerprints
- Send in Transcripts
- $55 Fee
- Receive Board of Education Approval
A local substitute certificate will be issued that would be good at any SCNUSD #5 school.
If you have questions, Please contact Mrs. Otero at 402-726-2412.
UNK Substitute Teacher:
P 1 – Apply to UNK Admissions by December 18
· If you currently have a Bachelor’s Degree, apply as Non-Degree Seeking student through Graduate Admissions
o Fill out application at https://www.unk.edu/academics/gradstudies/admissions/index.php
· If you do not have a bachelor’s degree but do have 60 hours or more of college credit, apply as Non-Degree Seeking student through Undergraduate Admissions
o Email LeeAnn Amm at email@example.com. In the body of the email, indicate you are applying for spring 2021 to register for Human Relations class that is required to become a substitute teacher.
o Fill out application at https://www.unk.edu/admissions/undergraduate-application-options.php
· Apply by Friday, December 18
· $45 Application Fee
· You will get two emails from True You*. One will contain your NUID. The other will contain a temporary password and link to where you will set up your True You* account.
· Follow the directions in the second email to complete the setup.
· Once you have your account setup, you can log into MyBlue** using your NU ID number.
*True You is UNK’s identity management system. The emails will come from True You. This is where you get your credentials to log into MyBlue**
**MyBlue is UNK’s student information system. The url is https://myblue.nebraska.edu. This is where you will register for classes, order transcripts, view grades, etc.
STEP 2 – Register for Course in MyBlue
TE 408/808 Human Relations – 1 credit hour online course
Course runs from January 4 through January 22.
If you have questions about registering, please contact the UNK Registrar at 308-865-8527.
a. TE408P-02 if you don’t have a bachelor’s degree
b. TE 808P-02 if you have a bachelor’s degree
This course meets the Nebraska Department of Education Human Relations requirement. Participants will develop skills in guiding student learning in an environment of respect for diversity, personal values, and heritage.
Updated information from the Department of Education in November 2020:
The requirements for a local substitute permit includes the following:
1. An application and fee in the Nebraska TEACH system https://www.online.nedoe.org (You will need to register and apply first before starting an application. Instructions are included below on how to register.)
2. Have at least 60 credit hours of college credit (NOTE: The 60 credit hours must appear on a transcript and sent to Educator Certification along with the human relations training transcript.)
3. Human relations training course.
4. A letter from the superintendent of the school district where the local substitute permit will be assigned.
Below is information about upcoming human relations training that is available for completion in December and beyond. Three colleges will be offering courses that meet the human relations requirement in two and three week sessions and all are online. If you have anyone who has an application in the TEACH system and has not been approved because of the human relations course, each of these classes will meet both the human relations requirement and professional educator requirement.
Central Community College – CCC is offering a two week class that is scheduled for December 7th through December 18th. The cost of the one credit hour course is $107.
Peru State College – PSC is offering a three week class that begins November 30th and ends December 18th. A second session will start January 11th and end on January 29th. The cost of the course is $395.
Chadron State College – CSC will continue to offer their eight week course starting in January. More information on the course can be found on their website at https://www.csc.edu/
University of Nebraska at Kearney – UNK will be offering TE408/808 Human Relations during their 3-week J-session. The course is a one-credit hour and online. The course will run from January 4-January 22. The grade for the course will be posted the following week. More information can be found on their website at https://www.unk.edu/academics/
Thank you and please feel free to share the information contained in this email with anyone who might be interested in earning their substitute certificate. Pay is $120 per day!